- This event has passed.
LGBTQ Competency and Sensitivity Training
October 7, 2015
Survivors Pathway presents a unique approach to understand the challenges and barriers experiences by the LGBTQ individuals especially within the contest of violence and access to justice. Our training focuses on addressing the complexities of gender identity and sexual orientation from a cultural and social perspective giving the trainees the opportunity to have a broader understanding and tools to provide sensitive services to these communities. Our victim center model will provide the audience with the opportunity to understand the experiences of the LGBTQ communities through the different types of victimization and will allow them to engage in a deep analysis about how violence affect these communities and how we can response in a competent manner. It is expected that this training increase the trainee sensitivity and knowledge regarding the effects of victimization in marginalized communities, encouraging them to be authentic and openly share beliefs and fears often withheld in discussion regarding sexual orientation and gender identity.
1) Address misconceptions and misinformation that lead to adverse outcomes for youth and adults impacted by the topics of gender and orientation especially within the context of victimization.
2) Engage in an in-depth conversation regarding sexual orientation and gender, its cultural complexities and our own understanding of these concepts from our life experiences.
3) Develop an understanding of the distinctions between the binary and continuum models of gender.
4) Address the concept of transgender and evaluate the experiences of violence faced by this community and the challenges in accessing competent services and justice.
5) increased understanding regarding the protocols and policies that should be put in place in order to provide competent services to the LGBTQ community and have successful outcomes in delivering services and access to justice.